IIT Madras launches Online course on Programming & Data Science, applications will be available soon
IIT Madras for the first time has launched an online course on data Programming and Data Science. This online course is a three-level course- Foundation, B.Sc degree and Diploma. Prof. Bhaskar Ramamurthi, Director of IIT Madras launched this Online Degree Program through a webinar. Online learning and in-person assessment make this course affordable and flexible.
He states that this online program will help students to graduate and provide employment for them in this sector with high demand. He believes this program will be a transformation in the field of education and inspire other institutes to launch more online initiatives.
Who can Apply to the IIT Madras Online Course?
Anyone can pursue this course from IIT Madras as there is no age, stream or geographical restrictions.
IIT Madras: Online Course Eligibility
- A candidate who has cleared class 12th with Mathematics and English.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s Degree or should have graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Bachelor’s degree Dropouts.
Candidates applying through Regular Entry must satisfy each of the three criteria mentioned above. Candidates who will complete their class 12 in 2020 are eligible to apply to IIT Madras. Candidates who enter the Qualifier Process will be allowed to join Foundational Level only upon a Bachelor’s Degree Program.
|Applications Open (Regular Entry)
|Date to be announced shortly
|Applications Close (Regular Entry)
|15th September 2020 tentatively
|Weekly release of Qualifier courses content starts
|5th October 2020
|Qualifier Exam Hall Ticket for students attaining minimum required marks in Assignments
|2nd November 2020
|Qualifier Exams will be conducted for those who have a Hall Ticket.
|20th- 22nd November 2020
|Results of Qualifier Exam
|7th December 2020
|Those who clear the qualifier process can Register for Term 1
|11th December 2020 to 3rd January 2021
|Foundational Level Batch 1 begins
|4th January 2021
IIT Madras: Online Course Application Process
Candidates who are eligible can apply by filling the application form and completing the application process for this online course offered by IIT Madras.
Course Application Fee
- Application Fee for Regular Entry is Rs. 3,000.
- Applicants will be charged a lesser application fee that belongs to SC or ST category or Persons with Disabilities >= 40% benchmark disability.
Fees vary depending on the course level and the course credits.
- For every Foundational Level course, the fee per credit is Rs.1000.
- For every Diploma / Degree Level course, the charge per credit is Rs.2500.
There will be a 50% fee waiver for candidates belonging to SC and ST category. Persons with Disabilities>= 40% disability. Candidates with both PwD >=40% and belonging to the SC / ST category will get a 75% fee waiver.
For Regular Entry Application Fee (including Exam fee) –
- General /OBC-NCL/ EWS: Rs. 3,000
- SC / ST / PwD: Rs. 1,500
- PwD with 40% disability: Rs. 750
Foundational Level (32 credits) –
- General /OBC-NCL/ EWS: Rs. 32,000
- SC / ST / PwD: Rs. 16,000
- PwD with 40% disability: Rs. 8,000
Diploma Level (44 credits)-
- General /OBC-NCL/ EWS: Rs. 1,10,000
- SC / ST / PwD: Rs. 55,000
- PwD with 40% disability: Rs. 27,000
Degree Level (40 credits) –
- General /OBC-NCL/ EWS: Rs. 1,00,000
- SC / ST / PwD: Rs. 50,000
- PwD with 40% disability: Rs. 25,000
This fee structure for this course with IIT Madras is applicable when an applicant successfully clears each course in one attempt. The fee must be paid again while re-registering for re-attempting the exam of the course.
IIT Madras: Online Course Qualifier Process
- Applicants will get access to the content for 4 weeks. It will consist of four foundational level courses – Mathematics for Data Science I, Computational Thinking, Statistics for Data Science I and English I. Video content of each course of 2 – 3 hours duration will be released weekly.
- An assignment will be included along with the content for the first three weeks for each course. It must be completed and submitted online before the deadline of submission.
- Average assignment score will be calculated for each course, and Only those will be allowed to write the Qualifier Exam. Minimum required average assignment marks in all four courses are required.
There will be Relaxations in the passing criteria for various categories that will be applicable only for the qualifier process for this online course offered by IIT Madras.
Qualifier Exam criteria
Hall tickets will be provided to the candidates getting minimum required average assignment scores in all four courses. They will be eligible for the in-person Qualifier Exam.
- All four subjects with 45 minutes per course will be covered within the duration of the exam, that is 3 hours.
- A minimum of Qualifier Exam Score in each course and Total Qualifier Exam Score will be required to pass the Qualifier Exam.
- Students who will pass the exam can register for Foundational Level courses.
Anyone who clears the Qualifier Exam can register for the Foundational Level. The number of courses a candidate will be allowed to register for in the first two terms will be limited and it will be based on the Total Qualifier Exam Score. The maximum number of courses allowed to register will depend on the average of course scores in the previous two terms.
IIT Madras Online Course: Regular Entry
Any applicant joining via regular entry will enter the Foundational level course. Foundational Level courses have a variety of subjects to learn the basics which help students take up the Diploma and then the Degree Level courses.
There are three options for applicants who enter the program with IIT Madras through Regular Entry:
- Foundational Level certificate
- Diploma in Programming or Data Science
- Sc Degree in Programming and Data Science
Diploma Only Entry
Working professionals and students who know the basics that are taught in Foundational level courses and wish to get only one or two diplomas can enter through Diploma Only Entry to IIT Madras.
Candidates entering through Diploma Only Entry can only do Diploma Level courses and cannot proceed to the Degree Level courses. Official Diplomas and Degrees are approved by IITM and Degree Holders will become the alumni of IIT Madras.